Today, February 4th, in The Latest – Your Berning Week, we cover the biggest incidents and headlines of the week. There’s much to be aware about and discuss as we continue to fight for what we believe is right. As usual, our focus is on the 45th President, also known as our bigot-in-chief. You can find the full articles on the Berning Media Network website for more information on the subjects.
Tuesday, January 30th
- Donald Trump gives his first State of the Union address, trying to promote a message of unity and “America First”. He receives much praise from Vice President Mike Pence, House Speaker Paul Ryan, and much of the Republican caucus present in the House chamber.
- Democrats during the speech remain stone-faced and emotionless as those around them applaud POTUS. Some members of the Black Caucus wore shawls or scarves dousing patterns/designs native to some of the African countries that Trump called “shithole countries”.
- An article by Berning Media founder, Patrick Vinson, also details that the US had begun accepting refugees and migrants from the eleven nations once banned, “Meanwhile officials would not confirm which of the 11 countries were subject of the announcement, at the end of 2016, higher-security screening was put in place for Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Mali, North Korea, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.”
Donald Trump gives yet another falsely unifying speech where he paints himself as the next Ronald Reagan, the master of words, yet comes off just as a bigger liar and narcissist. Like Senator Chuck Schumer and Senator Kamala Harris mentioned in regards to our growing economy, Trump has Obama to thank. In a few years, or perhaps even months, due to the tax cuts, that surge in the stock market will begin to dive. We’ve seen in the late 80s and early 90s that taxes had to be raised again because we couldn’t afford the Reagan-style tax cuts, and then in the 2000s, our economy crashed thanks to George W. Bush’s tax cuts and reckless agenda.
These Republicans don’t seem to comprehend history, or know anything about it. Wait, no they probably do, but their corporate donors stuff their pockets with endless amounts of donations to keep their moral compass off.
Wednesday, January 31st
- Republican Representative Trey Gowdy of the 4th District in South Carolina, serving since 2011, announced he will not be seeking another term. This may not surprise some, but add it with the numerous other Republicans that announced their retirement and it’s a big deal.
- 34 Republicans in the House of Representatives and so far 3 Republicans in the Senate will not be seeking re-election in the 2018 midterm. According to a short article by Bloomberg, “All Signs Point to Big Democratic Wings in 2018”, reported that Democrats only need to retake 24 seats to gain majority in the House.
This is great news for Democrats and progressives, we are just yet another step closer to taking power away from the devastating and destructive establishment/radicalized Republicans. Of course, not all of those 34 up-for-grabs seats will be in districts where Democrats could easily win, but it’s better than nothing at this point. The fact so many Republicans are announcing their early retirement from Congress is a sign, they know what’s going to happen in 2018. They know the American people are insanely infuriated and fed up with the Trump Administration and Trump policies. The swamp wasn’t drained, it was pumped with even more sewage and garbage that is suffocating and drowning the everyday American.
Once in a lifetime tax bonus is nice, but what’s that $1,000 or even $4,000 compared to free health-care, where some premiums reach in the tens of thousands of dollars? Or free public four year universities, where current tuition rates can keep a student in debt for the next three decades? Or how about that neighborhood hospital getting that needed renovation and refurbishment in tech, or the roads and bridges that need repair? These are all things we as a community need, what we as a country need. Face it, that extra thousand dollars in your bank account isn’t going to last, I know it wouldn’t for me.
Thursday, February 1st
- San Francisco announces they will drop thousands of marijuana convictions, thanks to the city’s new legalization law. Some of these convictions date as far back as 1975.
This came to me as a total surprise, I wasn’t expecting anything like this to happen… especially in this time period. Yes, we’ve become a more progressively aware and “woke” country, but we’re still behind from where we should be. To know an entire city is ready to toss aside convictions is unbelievable, and it’s just the beginning. Our current Attorney General, is set on destroying marijuana. He claims it is harmful and causes more deaths, killings, and violence, than other substances, like cocaine. He is a backwards-thinking man, supported by a backwards-thinking White House. It is purely evident now that we have a voice in this constitutional republic. Your vote does matter, and now it’s time we take it to the next level. County, then state, and soon enough, nationally. This is how we win, one battle at a time.
Friday, February 2nd
- March 5th is the last day of DACA’s life, if Congress can’t come up with a plan on how to keep it running, via a budget bill on immigration. So far, Democrats have not come up with a compromise with Republicans, and vice versa.
- As usual, Donald Trump goes to Twitter to fling out accusations as if he’s still some TV celebrity trying to be heard. He correctly assumes that House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, will be to blame.
But, House Speaker Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell will be to blame too. Enough of the partisan silent treatments, these two sides need to sit down and talk. Removing DACA is not an option, and our Democratic congressional leaders need to make that clear. There are almost 800,000 young individuals that will be at risk of deportation, people who grew up in this country, people who haven’t done anything wrong. They were brought here by their parents, you know why? Because their parents, like all parents, want their child to live a successful, thriving, and beautiful life. And where? The United States of America. People look up to the United States, and it’s time conservatives and Republicans stop degrading immigrants because it damages our image and reputation.
It makes America look like a shithole country, honestly. When you proclaim that we need to “make America white again” is a complete disregard on the very foundations of our nation. It is a slap in the face to our founding fathers (who weren’t perfect at all) but they had a legitimate idea. An idea to create a nation to free themselves and others from the pain of some form of oppression. They wanted and want people to free themselves from the oppressor of poverty, the oppressor of a non-representative government, oppressor of gang violence and crime cartels, oppressor of rising unemployment.
Go ahead and cry out that liberals are going to ruin this country by bringing in violence and terrorism. An in reality, you’ll find yourself screaming in the mirror… for fundamentalist/extremist, Christian-claiming, white Americans have done that to America themselves.
Saturday, February 3rd
- “In the fourth quarter of 2017 Google posted $32.3 billion in sales, making the companies total annual revenue $110 billion. They also took a $9.9 billion charge because of the Republican tax bill that was signed into law last month. The charge is due to a one-time tax on foreign earnings.” – from Berning Media Founder Patrick Vinson’s article Google Joins $100 Billion Club.
What we’re seeing here is just the beginning of the effects of our grand tax plan crafted and passed by the Republicans. The scales continue to weigh in favor of the rich; individuals, households, corporations, etc. Google is a big enough corporation, linked with rumors that they manipulate searches to feed internet-users certain stories and bits of information. This company only continues to grow, and our government should keep an eye on it. A Republican-controlled Congress will not monitor corporations or companies, for we will have to wait until Democrats take back control to institute any forms of regulations.
Regulations in the sense of preventing such a large company from merging with others, perhaps like with Facebook. America doesn’t need super-massive entities that control the internet, we need a free internet filled with different voices and companies. Net Neutrality needs to be reinstated, and we can only hope for a Democratic landslide in 2018 for that to happen.
Follow Berning Media to keep up to date on the biggest news stories and incidents, and you can expect a The Latest – Your Berning Week article every Sunday.