North Korea calls latest UN sanctions an act of war

According to North Korea’s foreign ministry, the latest round of UN sanctions are “an act of war,” and threatened to punish those who supported the measure. The UN Security Council imposed new sanctions on North Korea on Friday due to its recent ICBM test, seeking to limit its access to refined petroleum products and crude oil along with its earnings from workers abroad.

The new resolution seeks to ban nearly 90% of refined petroleum exports by capping them at 500,000 barrels a year and demands the “repatriation of North Koreans working abroad within 24 months”. The US-drafted resolution also caps crude oil supplies to North Korea at 4 million barrels a year and commits the Council to further reductions if the North conducts another ICBM/nuclear test.

In a statement, North Korea’s foreign ministry said the US is “terrified” by its nuclear force and was getting “more and more frenzied in the moves to impose the harshest-ever sanctions and pressure on our country”.

Advertisements

Liberal Democrats and their coalition partners are set to win more than 300 seats in Japan’s Parliament

Even as the count continues, exit polls are now showing that Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s Liberal Democrats and their coalition partners are set to win more than 300 seats in Japan’s Parliament this election. ⠀

Abe, the popular nationalistic leader of the island nation, called for the election in September to strengthen his mandate in the face of national security issues, such as North Korea and Chinese aggression in the South China Sea. ⠀

Hawaii judge blocks latest travel ban

A United States federal judge from Hawaii has blocked the latest version of President Donald Trump’s travel ban which was set to effect eight different countries. Judge Derrick Watson said that the ban “plainly discriminates based on nationality”.

Published by Nova News

Click here to support independent media!

Studios head Roy Price steps down amid harassment claims

This announcement comes five days after he was suspended for sexual harassment allegations. This all started last week when Isa Hackett the Producer of ‘The Man in A High Castle’, accused Price of coming onto her in 2015, also telling her that she would ‘love my “d***”.

Roy Price comes after the newest scandal involving Harvey Wein Stein, who has been accused of multiple sexual harassment charges. Weinstein has since been fired from his own company and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences has stripped Weinstein of his membership.

Article written by Patrick Vinson

Contact: patrickvinson29@gmail.com

Click here to support independent media!

United States demands Russia close down their consulate buildings in 3 states

The US has demanded that Russia close their consulate in San Francisco and buildings in Washington and NY. This is in retaliation for (Russia) cutting American diplomatic presence in the country.

“We believe this action (diplomatic staff cut) was unwarranted and detrimental to the overall relationship between our countries,” State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said this morning. “In the spirit of parity invoked by the Russians, the United States has required the Russian government to close its San Francisco consulate and two annexes in Washington, D.C. and New York by Sept. 2.”

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson informed Russian FM Sergei Lavrov in a phone call today. Lavrov “expressed regret” about the decision during the phone call with Tillerson. “Moscow will closely study the new measures announced by the Americans, after which our reaction will be conveyed,” the Russian FM said.

Published by The War Files

Former Bernie Staffer To Run For Mayor

Bolingbrook, Illinois – Jackie Traynere, a former staffer for Senator Bernie Sanders, will be running against long-time mayor Roger Claar. Traynere, a small business owner, is currently a board member for Will County as well as The Illinois Women’s Institute For Leadership.

In September 2016, Claar hosted a fundraiser for Donald Trump at the Bolingbrook Golf Club. This caused some protests and subsequently, a slate of candidates now planning to oust the long-time mayor – led by Traynere.

“Bolingbrook United aims to take on the Bolingbrook political establishment in the municipal elections in April and bring a fresh perspective to local government,” stated a news release announcing slate of candidates.

Roger Claar has been the unchallenged mayor of Bolingbrook since 1986. During his tenure, Bolingbrook has turned into a retail and commercial hub. This has enticed large retailers, such as IKEA, to move in.

Despite claims of pay-to-play politics, the mayor credits himself for the steady growth. He also mentioned his firm stance of remaining neutral to businesses with long-time contracts with the city.

“I’m probably tougher on the people that support me.  I tell them they can never do anything that puts me in a position where it looks like pay to play.” – said Claar

In 1991, Claar was appointed to the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority board by then-Gov. Jim Edgar, but then resigned in 2000 following a controversy over him accepting campaign contributions from contractors who got tollway business contracts. Although he resigned, he was never officially charged of any wrongdoing.
Not only has his name appeared in local investigations, but Claar has also appeared in several federal and state investigations. In 2008, a businessman alleged in a federal court filing that he was pressured to donate thousands of dollars to Claar’s campaign and certain charities in order to keep his village contracts, back in 2001.
As a full-time mayor Claar pays himself a hefty salary of $140,102, not including a $6,000 car allowance. He emphasizes that’s less than Bolingbrook paid the village administrator whose job he eliminated.

He also collects two public pensions: $55,757 from his previous career as a school administrator, and $4,532 from his stint on the Illinois Tollway Authority.
Claar said people support him financially because they’re pleased with his leadership – something his more generous donors agree on.

The Chicago Tribune reported, in 2009, that K-Five Construction Corp. has donated $47,500 to Claar’s campaign in the last decade, and VP Jennifer Krug stated there was no pressure to give any.

“He’s done a terrific job being mayor of Bolingbrook.” she said.

In the same 2009 report, The Chicago Tribune also noted that K-Five has received more than $8 million in village business in the last 10 years.
In another recent case in 2014, he allegedly lowered the rent for a local arena complex, citing the high cost of hockey. The rent was supposed to triple as per a past deal but was kept at 1% of the rinks’ gross earnings. Edward Schroeder, owner of the rink, had previously contributed $164,500 since 1999 according to reports.

Schroeder also owns a construction firm, Great Midwest Contracting. It has been paid about $20 million through various village contracts since 2000, according to village records.

 

Donations and the total value of contracts received (Since 1999)

COMPANY AND RELATED BUSINESSES DONATED RECEIVED:
Crown Recycling ($55,000 / $32.5 million), Naperville Excavating ($15,000 / $13.1 million), James D. Fiala Paving Co. ($23,000 / $10.6 million), Weible & Cahill ($17,000 / $9.6 million), Walsh Landscape Construction ($36,000 / $8.4 million) K-Five Construction ($47,500 / $8 million)

 

“I don’t hear the criticism, and believe me I’m on the street, as evidenced by the money I spend, I could go home and eat a bologna sandwich every night. But I go out to socialize and eat, I talk to people.” – Roger Claar

 

There’s even a facebook page dedicated to voting out the long-time mayor – which can be viewed HERE

SOURCES:

Bolingbrook Mayor Roger Claar says his lavish spending from campaign fund isn’t ‘pay to play’ politics

Ice arena operator who donated $165K to Bolingbrook mayor gets break on rent

Mayor Claar’s Ethics Called into Question

Jackie Traynere